Do you remember your first day of school? Showing off your new shoes, new clothes, and new backpack?
Many children in the Kansas City area face embarrassment and ridicule because their family could not afford new clothes. Instead, they chose to put food on the table and pay this months rent. These kids will show up at school wearing the one shirt they own, worn-out shoes, and forget about a backpack.
What is Hands to Hearts doing?
Hands to Hearts collects new and gently used clothes, shoes and backpacks of all sizes and seasons – from children to adult sizes. We collect:
- Jeans, t-shirts, dress shirts, dresses, skirts, etc.
- School uniforms
- Coats and jackets
- Undergarments, socks
- Gloves, scarves, hats
- Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, soap, etc.
H2H maintains a stocked clothing closet available to any of our partner schools at their request. As needs arise, any of our partner schools can e-mail specific needs, and we deliver the requested items with BackSnacks the following delivery day. In addition, we set up “free stores” in locations where special needs have been identified. Parents are invited to come and “shop” for clothing for themselves and their children.
“I had a student walk to school today in this bitter weather in wet clothing she had hand washed herself and laid on a heater but they did not dry at all. She was FROZEN when she got to school. Because of H2H’s generosity, I was able to put her in clean, dry clothes for the day and send her home with two additional sets of clothing.”
-Teresa, RN, KCKPS 12/14/10
Clothing Donation and Volunteering Opportunities
Clothing donations can be dropped off at 9130 Flint, Overland Park, KS, Monday – Friday from 8 am to 5 pm or in the drop box outside of our warehouse at 9007A W 51st Terr, Merriam, KS.
- Donate new or gently used clothing, clean and in good condition.
- Check stores you frequent for clearance merchandise, check garage sales and ask for the “left-overs”.
- Collect clothing, consider a clothing drive in your neighborhood, church, scout troop, etc.
- Volunteer to sort or distribute clothing, or assist at one of the free “stores”.
- H2H is a 501(c)(3) charity. Donations are tax-deductible.
How can you help with the clothing drive?
- Sorting and organizing clothes that are donated
- Collect clothes from your friends and neighbors (children sizes K-6th grade).
- Do you go to garage sales? Take a form with you asking people to donate their left over books and clothing to the cause. All donations are tax deductible. Click here for the request slip.
Have questions about clothes? Contact Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org